Skip to content

Learning Disability Devon Designed by people with a learning disability for people with a learning disability

About Supported Internships

  • All young people aged between 16 – 24 years of age, with a Learning Difficulty Assessment, or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) will be offered a study plan.

  • information
    • A study programme is a course that is put together for a young person that will;
    • Help you get a job and live independently.
    • Get qualifications if that is what you need.
    • Help you with Maths and English so you can use them in real life.
  • Supported internships can be a good way of having a study programme that helps you get a job.

  • What makes them different is that you do most of your learning at work and some in college.  This means you learn on the job.

  • A supported internship could be the right choice for you if you know you learn best by doing things.

  • The most important things is that you really want to get paid work.

  • Supported internships are all about working towards a paid job.

  • information

    You can find out about supported internships;

    • from school
    • from college
    • from your social worker or preparing for adult worker
    • from Job Centre Plus
  • As soon as you think you might want a supported internship you should talk to your teacher or your preparing for adulthood worker.

  • This could be at your year 9 or year 10 review at school when you are thinking about work and work experience.

  • A good Supported Internship programme will have;

  • information
    • Clear information about the internship and how its work.
    • Have a way for you to talk to someone who has done a supported internship and find out how it worked for them.
    • Spend time with you and your family making sure that the internship is right for you and that you really do want to get paid work.
    • Have job coaches to help you think about your skills and what you want to do.
    • Keep checking that things are working well.
  • If you are aged 16 to 24 and have an Learning Difficulty Assessment or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) then colleges can use their funding for your supported internship.

  • You might also be able to get extra money for support from social services (you will have to have an assessment).

  • You might also be able to get extra money called Access to Work (you will have to fill in a form). This money is for your support to go to work.

  • You will still be able to get benefits for your day to day life.

  • information

    If you want more information about benefits and funding you should talk to your social worker or preparing for adulthood worker.